The Art of Nothingness

Keep it simple, stupid.
 
(Don't call me stupid!!!)
 
I, hmm. That was a pretty quick comeback. Kudos to quoting from one of Kevin Kline's most comedic roles.
 
(Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week…)
 
Don't push it.
 
(*ahem* Sorry.)
 
Point being… keep things simple. We forget that simple life tenet sometimes. Ok, most of the time. Ok, fine, ALL the time. It's a sad state of affairs when we have to consciously remind ourselves to slow the proverbial f*** down. I know I'm guilty of it. Which is why yesterday was such an anomaly for me, and why I'm going to share my day with you as an example of how to actually relax.
 
(No, seriously, where are you going with this?)
 
I am being one hundred percent, unequivocally, may a Wookie rip my arms from their sockets if I'm not telling the truth, honestly serious.
 
(I… I… I think I need to sit down for this….)
 
The day started simply enough with a lovely breakfast with my dad and my two sisters for Father's Day. And let's face it, breakfast food soothes the soul. And fills the belly with pork-fatty goodness. Mmmmm pork fat… Couldn't think of a better way to start the day than with a little family togetherness. Just long enough to share some stories and have fun, but not long enough for us to annoy the snot out of one another. Plus there was breakfast food. Win win.
 
From there I returned to my humble abode which I had cleaned from top to bottom the day before, thus leaving me with no chores, no laundry, no anything to do but, well, a whole lot of nothing. So what did I do, you ask?
 
(I didn't, actually, but carry on….)
 
Grrr. Anywhoos… I assembled an Ikea dresser that I had purchased a couple month or so ago. Those that know me know that I love all things Ikea. Ahhh wacky Swedish engineers… The dresser had been sitting in the box since I had obtained it contemplation of purchasing a house back in April. While the deal fell through, I nevertheless kept the dresser and, following some quick measurements, decided that I could use it in my current domicile after all. If you're not familiar with all the offerings Ikea presents, their products have gotten much better over the years. You would never know my bedroom set is self-assembled. And I love putting that stuff together. Really, I do. Plus, the little people in the illustrated instructions make me giggle.
 
(You are easily amused.)
 
I am. I really am. It's the simple things.
 
(I, dammit. You got me to admit your point without even trying.)
 
Sucker. See? I'm rubbing off on you.
 
(Please don't rub anything on me.)
 
HEY! Not what I meant.
 
(*snicker*)
 
GRRRR. So, back to my day… The rest of the afternoon included a ride in the Jeep, brief sojourn to the water, reading a book on the deck, taking a nap with a cuddly canine, and then going to the movies. Nothing that required any deep, cognitive effort.  
 
Andthenthedayendedwithasunsetathtelakewithaprettygirl.  
 
(I hate it when you do that. It makes my head hurt.)
 
I know. But that, dear readers, is how you do that. A full day, Sunday, the day of rest, actually resting. Sometimes it's not just about resting the body, but the mind as well. Really, you should try it. And take it from me, one whose brain came without an off switch, I know it's no easy task. But if even I can do it, then so can you.
 
(Wait, whoa, hold on a minute there, buster… did that say something about a pretty girl???)
 
*whistling*
 
I can neither confirm nor deny that I wrote what you think you read when you think you read what you read while reading what I wrote for you to read above.
 
(You're trying to distract me by making my head hurt again, aren't you?)
 
Maybe. Did it work?
 
(Kind of. Dammit.)
 
Moving on…. It's amazing what happens when you just let life happen. You see things, do things, meet people in unexpected and splendid ways. Sometimes, though, things are as simple as walking into the den, taking a book from the shelf and *gasp* just parking your arse in a chair on the deck and reading it. No effort, no real thought, although I do recommend putting some effort into watching where you're going, rather than tripping over the ottoman while reading the back cover of the book, thus stubbing your toe and spewing a string of obscenities that frightens the dog and probably a few neighbors.
 
Even still, it was a good day that required very little thought. Some things just come easily, and when they do, embrace them. Enjoy them. Let them happen. It will put a smile on your face and warmth in your heart.
 
(Like watching a sunset with a pretty girl?)
 
Ye…heyyyyyyy I see what you tried to do there. A for effort.
 
(Worth a shot.)
 
It was indeed. It didn't work, but it was a nice try.
 
(So, no details, then?)
 
Nope.
 
(To quote a friend of yours, you're a right b*astard, you are.)
 
I know. But it's not going to stop you from reading this nonsense.
 
(Touché, pussycat.)
 
Now let's go find nothing to do.
 
 
© J.J. Goodman 2104. All rights reserved.