Connections: Two Sisters and Tim McGraw

So, Friday night I did something I've never done in my entire life.
 
(Oh sweet bejeebus, this ought to be good….)
 
I attended a concert with both of my sisters.
 
(Hahaha… Wait, that's it? And seriously? Aren't you like in your fifties or something?)
 
I am NOT, thankyouverymuch. And yes, seriously. My sisters are each a few years older than I am, so we weren't all that particularly close growing up. Now, I consider them both to be my friends as well as siblings, and we are all closer now than we ever have been. And for the first time, we were all at a concert, standing together, enjoying the music and laughing together. And you know what? It was pretty damn cool. And it got me thinking.
 
(See "sweet bejeebus" comment above.)
 
Would you stop that!
 
(Alright, fine, I'll bite. What did you think about?)
 
Connections. There are so many connections in my life, swirling in the proverbial six degrees of separation, that I found myself grateful, humbled, and frankly a little awed. Granted, my sisters have been part of life literally since the moment of my birth, but for a time years and miles had separated us. Now here we are, all these years later, not only spending time together for family birthdays and holidays, but for fun. Fun. With my sisters. Just because. For that I am a lucky man. I know many who don't have that same luxury, whether because of death, distance, or disagreement. I feel for those people, and lament the fact that they don't have the same opportunity I have.
 
It doesn't stop there, however. As you know, my friends are my family and those in my family are my friends. It is a collective family that extends from here to Australia and back. Like the Duggars, it is continually growing.
 
(Are you pregnant???)
 
What? NO! Oh my gawd! I meant I am still making new friends.
 
(Oh. *giggle*)
 
In addition to my sisters, I spent the evening with another friend who recently came into my life, through one of my sisters, no less. All these connections came together for a wonderful, warm spring evening at a Tim McGraw concert.
 
(Were you boot scootin'?)
 
That's Brooks and Dunn, smart ass. And maybe. ANYWAY… McGraw ended the show with his hit ballad Live Like You Were Dyin'. It brought the house down, and got me to thinkin' even more.
 
(Can I say 'oh boy' now?)
 
Yes. Because this is going to be quite existential.
 
(Oh boy….)
 
The whole premise of the song is that a man in his forties had a health scare that caused him to finally live the life he wanted, and needed, to live. It's a powerful song, and those that have heard it know what I mean. For those that haven’t, I strongly encourage you to listen to it. Multiple times. Listen to the lyrics and let them sink in. As I stood there, listening during the show, I looked around at my siblings and friends and felt a happiness that even I find hard to describe.
 
Just this morning, however, I made yet another connection, through a friend, that brought memories of my friend's death a year ago roaring back. All it took was something as simple as an irreverent posting on Facebook. And I was reminded.
 
(Of what?)
 
Of how short and fragile human life can be. I was reminded how important it is to embrace those you care about, and to embrace strangers and welcome them into your life.
 
(Doesn't embracing strangers usually result in arrest for assault?)
 
I'm being serious, dammit.
 
(Sorry.)
 
I'm reminded how lucky I am to have so many wonderful people in my life. And I am reminded of those words I wrote a little over a year ago with my friend's passing, encouraging myself and you to, well, basically live like you were dyin'. In the past year I have traveled, I have loved, and I have cried. I have smiled and laughed and danced. I have lived, and relaxed. I have enjoyed. Admittedly it's still a little bit of a foreign concept to me, but I'm working on it. That doesn't change my advice then, and my advice to you now.
 
(Which is….)
 
Live. Live life. Like McGraw says, live like you were dyin'. If there's something you'd like to do, do it. Remind those that you care about that you care about them. Go for a ride to nowhere without caring how long it takes you to get there. Do what makes you happy with whom you're happy. Don't let time slip by. We have such precious little of it as it is. Hell, go out and buy a new cowboy hat. Why not?
 
(You did, didn't you? Pics please.)
 
I did. And I rock that hat, dammit.
 
(What's that about riding a horse and saving a cowboy?)
 
Hey, you said it, not me.
 
(Touché, pussycat.)
 
So, the moral of the story: What McGraw said. Yeah, that. Just stay away from the bull named Fu Man Chu.
 
© J.J. Goodman 2014. All rights reserved.