Vacation, Inspiration and Perspiration

There is a delicate balance one must forge in life between work and play. I for one have always had a difficult time with this particular task. For me, writing is fun. There is absolutely no question that I enjoy it fully. Having the time to do it, however, is another story entirely. Usually I will get some ideas in the car while driving to and from my "real" job, but I think the state troopers would frown on me using my laptop while driving. Besides, it's a little hard to type with one hand. I mean, I do have coffee to hold.

I generally tend to write in the the time gaps in between. In between what? Everything. I'll write a little if I get in the office early. I'll write on my lunch hour. I'll write at night after the rest of the house has fallen asleep and it's just me, my computer and that damn box of Cheez-Its that haunts me from the pantry. (Cheez-Its make for great "creation food." There, Cheez-It. There's my ringing endorsement. Feel free to send royalties.)

Back to my original point (as if there really was one... just roll with me, people...) I am on vacation. Yes, I've already done some work this morning, but I'm not in my office. I am somewhere where the heat index is even higher than the number of times I heard the words "are we there yet" during the journey. I've sweat. And I've gotten inspired.

Inspiration comes in strange forms. Another book. A cup of coffee. A smile or hug from a new niece and nephew who barely know me. A road sign. You name it and chances are that I'll squeeze some creative juice out of it somehow. I'm in just that kind of mental state right now.

Chances are I won't have too much time to write on this vacation and I fear that my target completion date for Phaedrus: Turmoil on the Frontier is going to be pushed back just a bit. That's ok. Because I'm on vacation. I have people to do and things to see. Um, er... in the immortal words of Willy Wonka (and I mean Gene Wilder, not that Johnny Depp creeper version) "wait, scratch that, reverse it."

Did I  have a point with all of this? I suppose. Find inspiration where you can. Sometimes it takes a vacation. Sometimes it takes a little perspiration. Sometimes it takes a good helping of both. No matter what, take the time to do both. You'll feel better. Trust me.

I wrote it so it must be true, right? Right?

I just won a million dollars. (What? Just testing a theory.)

Comments