The Lighter Side

Sometimes it's not that easy to see the lighter side of things. It's there, oh yes, but on occasion it may be so perfectly hidden that you just can't see it. Despite all the great and wonderful things in my life right now (like those books over there to the right ----->  No, down a little.... Yeah, there.) I still feel as if I'm being followed, from time to time, by this little black cloud. That kind of sucks, mostly because black clouds bring rain and then my suit gets wet and I have to take it to the dry cleaner. (Seriously! Have you seen how expensive dry cleaning is these days? Stupid cloud...)

There is a lighter side, I know. Beyond the shadow of the cloud there's sunshine and rainbows and a frog riding a bike and Judy Garland singing. I get it. Maybe I just need to wipe the rain from my glasses. Maybe I need to take a deep breath. Maybe I need to channel the negativity into written words and finish the book I'm writing (or any of the other three manuscripts I've begun, ranging from four to over a hundred pages in length). Maybe I just need some batteries for my flashlight. Or a flashlight app. There's an app for that, right?

As in life I try to find the brighter side in most of my writing. There is usually a happy ending, but not without a great deal of darkness along the way. I try to interject my stories with humor to keep things flowing and natural. If you stop and think about it, there is always something funny that happens even on your darkest day. It is as if some cosmic Ying stuck its proverbial tongue out and said "Hey Yang! PLLLBBBBBBBTTTTTT." You can't help but chuckle.

So my advice to you is find the lighter side. I'm trying to do that as we speak. It's not revealing itself quite yet, but I'm sure it's there somewhere. It has to be. I have too much invested to live my life in the dark. And not enough batteries. Or credits on my iTunes account for the damn flashlight app. Guess I shouldn't have downloaded all those rockin' 80's hits. In the immortal words of Howard Jones "things can only get better."

Comments