I Should Be Writing

Yes, I realize that writing this blog is "writing." Don't get technical on me, you know what I mean.

Today is August 17, 2011. I had originally planned on completing Phaedrus, the sequel to The Diligent, in time for release by September 1. Unfortunately that's not going to happen. I have editors now (and good ones, at that) who will be reviewing the next installment and I fear that process will take some time. Not because they're slow, mind you, but because my style of writing, while free flowing, doesn't exactly lend itself to in-progress proof-reading. That much was evident with the first novel. I intend to make sure that particular flaw of mine is corrected this time around.

Alas, it's not the editing that will delay the release. It's that pesky "writing" thing. As in I have to do more of it. The rest of it, actually. Like all writers I too suffer from writer's block from time to time. Generally it is much better than, say, restless leg syndrome or swimmer's ear. ("What? WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU" he screeches as he hops up and down on one foot trying to shake the ocean from his eardrum.) However, for a writer, it still sucks rocks in a big way.

I have ideas. I know where I want to take the story. Right now though, I just can't get there. I read what I've written. I get more ideas. Then I sit down at the computer and my mind says "flah" and my fingers end up googling Olivia Wilde. (Purely for research purposes only, of course. I fully intend on The Diligent becoming a screenplay and then a Labor Day movie release. Maybe Memorial Day. In any event, Wilde would be a front runner to play the character of Lieutenant Olivia Grace. Really. See? Research.)

I know I will get there in time. When writer's block hits I will usually struggle and struggle and then, in an instant, my brain reboots and I start writing. The downside is when  I snap out of it, I snap out if it, and typically end up in a transcendent, catatonic state until the story is finished. I think the last time that happened the following occurred:

(Time: 1:36 a.m.)

Wife: *yawn* "Honey, are you coming to bed?"
Me:   (without looking up from laptop screen) "No thanks, I don't want any applesauce."
Wife: shakes head, mumbles something about me being an idiot and goes to bed.

In any event, I'm working on it. Phaedrus is at least three-quarters of the way complete. Stuff has exploded. People have died. Aliens have stolen all our chocolate. (Not really. Just seeing if you're paying attention.) I will have it done soon, I'm sure. Right now my creativity has simply taken a little hiatus. I appreciate your patience, although I appreciate your impatience even more. That means you are excited for the next book, and let's face it - that's what it's all about. For now, I think I need to go do some more research. I mean writing.
 

Comments