Thoughts I've Been Thinking

So it's Tuesday, and it's raining, and it's a new month that should feel like the month it is but it really feels like a month that it's really not because instead of feeling like this month it feels like a month four months from now.
 
(I…wait, I think I understood that, but…. Dude. Seriously. Decaf.)
 
HAHAHAHAHA…No. Drinking decaffeinated coffee is like going to a hooker for a hug. You pay the same price but get none of the rapturous joy.
 
(And you know this, how, exactly?)
 
Because someone gave me decaf once. ONCE. Anywhoos…. I've been having some random thoughts. I think I'm gonna share them.
 
(Oh sweet bejeebus, this ought to be good.)
 
Shut it, you. I think you'll find some of them downright inspiring. By way of background, I've been doing a lot of thinking lately, about myself, the people in my life, the people that have come and gone over time. I've pondered my actions, reactions, successes and failures. And I've made some casual observations. All joking aside, I hope that maybe you do take some inspiration from some of these. From others, maybe you'll get a giggle. Some might even cause offense. While some of these are paraphrased or similar to things you've read on the world wide interwebs, any similarity is unintended and probably subconscious. Take what you will. These are just the musings of a man with thoughts on his mind.
 
·         Someday something so splendid will happen in your life and your only regret will be that you didn't allow it to happen sooner.
 
·         It's never too late for an apology. If you're remorseful, show it. Even if it's not accepted.
 
·         While it's true that friends are the family you choose, always remember that they also chose you. Treat them with love, honor and respect, because they can always choose to walk away, too.
 
·         Your past is part of you. Don't lie about, and don't try to hide it.
 
·         Don't wear a flat brimmed baseball hat. Sorry gang, I know some of you wear them. As much as I love you, just… no. It's not a good look for anyone. Like Crocs.
 
·         When meeting someone for the first time, treat them with respect. The best way to earn respect is to give it.
 
·         Cry if you need to. It’s a natural reaction. We do more damage to ourselves holding emotion in than letting it out.
 
·         Cut your hair the way you like it. It's your head. Don't try to please anyone else.
 
·         Speak your mind. Regret is more often born of words unspoken than from those spoken.
 
·         Sometimes the consequences are worth it. If it feels good, do it.
 
·         Don't act smarter than you really are, because you'll inevitably be exposed and consequently viewed as dumber than you really are.
 
·         There is always room for dessert. Always.
 
·         Have a pet. I don't care if it's a dog, a cat, a hamster, a fish, or whatever it is – have a pet. Pets mean you need to love and care for something other than yourself, and too many people need to be reminded of that.
 
·         Be inappropriate and laugh at inappropriate things. I am a firm believer in this adage: "You find it inappropriate. I find it funny. That's why I'm happier than you."
 
·         Ask for help, whether it's lifting something heavy, completing a task, or simply reaching out for emotional support. No one will think less of you, and just maybe it will encourage them to ask for help when they need it, too.
 
·         If you can earworm someone with Don't Worry, Be Happy, or any other catchy tune, do it. If you can Rick-roll them with Never Gonna Give You Up, even better. They'll get you back, rest assured, but it's a fun and harmless way to challenge each other.
 
·         Be frugal, but not cheap. It's okay to budget, whether you do so with your money, your time or your energy, but don't skimp, either. It's much easier to live richly than you might expect.
 
·         Don't do something that is solely your choice and then complaint about it.  If it causes you such consternation, then you shouldn't have done it in the first place.
 
·         Compliment at least once person every day.
 
·         Did I mention dessert?
 
·         Grammar is important. It could be the difference between a harmless expression of adoration ("I love to cook, my family, and my friends") and cannibalism ("I love to cook my family and my friends").
 
·         Be persistent. Some things are worth the effort. If you give up too easily, you may be turning back just as you're about to reach the summit. Don't. Give. Up.
 
·         Be honest, with yourself and others, but most importantly with yourself.
 
·         Do something you're good at, even if it doesn't make you money. The mere act of doing that thing, even as a hobby, will make you far happier than doing only the thing you don't like just because it pays the bills.
 
·         Lastly, make time, not excuses. If you care about someone and want to be with them, make the time to be with them. If you want to do that thing you enjoy and/or are good at, make the time to do it. We all say we're too busy, or that there aren't enough hours in the day. That's absolutely true, and that’s why it's so important to make the time. Otherwise… see the comment about not complaining, above.
 
Yeah. I've been thinking.
 
 
© 2015 J.J. Goodman. All rights reserved.
 

Comments