Buzzing the Tower in the Meteorological Mecca

So, this vacation thing kinda rocks. 
(Duh.)
Yeah, I know. But here’s the thing, maybe if I took more of them I wouldn’t appreciate the ones I do take nearly as much… right?
(*looks on skeptically*)
Fine.  I need to take more vacation. But in that I just returned home from one, I’ll share with you my experiences. Now, I know for many of my readers in the northeast, Buffalo especially, you’ve spent the last several days in frigid, snowy weather that has literally buried your cities and towns. Having lived through the Blizzard of ’77, the Ice Storm of ’91, a lesser known but still debilitating storm of ’95, and many heavy snow events in between and since, I sympathize with your plight. I really do. I’d offer to help, but I can’t even do that as the highway is still closed, so I couldn’t get there if I tried. So, instead, I will regale you with tales of my basking in the perfectionness that was San Diego while I was recently on vacation so that you can live vicariously and think warm thoughts. 
(Or hate you for it. And you’re making up words again.)
Sorry, I can’t hear you since I still have so much sunshine in my ears. 
(The hating? Yeah, that.)
I know. It will pass. I’m too damn loveable. But I digress. Comedian Lewis Black once did a bit whereby he declared that the easiest job in the world was that of the San Diego, California weatherman:
Newscaster:     So Lewis, what’s the weather going to be like this week?
Weatherman:   *pauses* Nice. Back to you, Bob! 

He wasn’t far off. The weather, every day, in November, no less, can be described thusly: slightly overcast in the early morning, sunshine by midday, high of 68-70. Every. Day. If awesomesauce was a place, it would be San Diego, speaking from a purely meteorological perspective. A little sunshine, rest, and relaxation were exactly what I needed, mainly because if I didn’t experience those things I was gonna go postal like Sinbad in Jingle All The Way. I was able to spend time alone, time with friends, time laughing, reflecting, observing, participating, and enjoying. And I got to see some really cool sh*t.

(I always wondered about that phrase. What sh*t could possibly be cool?)

I…be quite. I’m trying to tell a story here. 

(But….)

Shut. Up.

(Shuttin’ up shuttin’ up….)

Ok, Bugs and thugs…. Great Looney Toons reference, by the way. That was always one of my favorites. Now stop distracting me! So, yeah, got to see some really cool stuff. Here’s the rundown, for those ever considering a visit to SoCal:

The USS Midway

Now a floating museum, the aircraft carrier USS Midway was one of the jewels of the United States Navy from the end of World War II through the Vietnam Conflict. I don’t think you can have a true appreciation for its enormity until you’re standing next to it; it truly is a floating city. Over the course of two visits I traversed every inch of the ship open to the public, all the way from the flight deck and bridge high up above, to crew quarters and the infirmary way down below. This included viewing a myriad of aircraft, rendering this writer a sloppy mess akin to a kid in a candy store. Within the ship, on the hangar deck, sat my most cherished aircraft, the World War II fighter F-4U Corsair in all is folded-up, gull-winged majesty. On the flight deck, my favorite mid-modern aircraft, the F-14 Tomcat (which, astute readers will know, was featured in the film Top Gun, which film was set in and around San Diego). I might have drooled. In fact I’m pretty sure I drooled. There was drooling. Don’t judge me.

Maritime Museum

Ok, so I have a thing for planes and ships. Such a collective obsession makes San Diego the perfect destination. Within walking distance of the Midway sits the Maritime Museum. In its collection you’ll find some rare gems of naval history, including the Star of India - the oldest, still seaworthy sailing vessel in the world. Rigged as an iron barque, the ship sits high in the water as a functioning remnant of a bygone era when sailing ships were indeed masters of the seas. Beside it, and of more interest to me, frankly, was the replica HMS Surprise, a historically accurate rendering of an 1860’s fighting frigate. This particular ship was used in the filming of Master and Commander: Far Side of the World, and I stood where Russell Crowe stood. Yeah. That was cool. I now have something in common with Russell Crowe, besides our devastating handsome good looks.

(You need help.)

I know. Anywhoos… the museum also featured a pair of submarines, including the Dolphin, a US boat that holds the world record for deepest dive, and a Soviet, Cold War-era attack boat. There’s just something about torpedoes with words written on them in Russian that cranks up the coolness factor tenfold.

(Da.)
Well played. As interesting as it was though, I am so thankful I wasn’t a Cold War-era Russian submariner. According to the information plaque, accidents and poor safety records were the norm for those boats. And if it’s on an informational plaque, it must be true. 
San Diego Zoo
Cliché? Yes. Biggest tourist trap in San Diego? Indeed. Worth it? Hells yeah. Most of the habitats were quite generous for the animals, and there were some unique and interesting animals. The zoo presents itself in such a way that you can view the animals up close without risk, and the views didn’t disappoint. And it has pandas, and who doesn’t love pandas? I mean seriously! Pandas, man! And lions. And warthogs and meerkats and gazelles and giraffes and… basically the entire cast of TheLion King. Hakuna Matata. 
(What a wonderful phrase…. Hakuna Mat… I’m going to cut you.)
Because there ain’t no thang like a Disney earworm… sucker.
Sea World
No trip to San Diego would be complete without a jaunt to sea world, the vastly overpriced yet ubercool sea zoo/amusement park where you can pet stingrays [slimy little suckers], ride a roller coaster, and watch flying sea pandas.
(Flying sea pand… Ohhhhhh. Killer whales. Roger that.)
They were impressive. Massive creatures, entertaining and talented, they did not fail to live up to expectations. Some may argue about their containment and whatnot, but each of these creatures was born in captivity and frankly didn’t seem worse for the wear to me. I mean, it waved at me. Me! Right at me!! A big, flippin’ flipper wave! But that wasn’t all. There were sharks and sea turtles and seals that barked [I want one] and smiling walruses, too. Don’t believe me? I have photographic proof.  Ask and I’ll send it to you. I could pass on the dolphins though. With their squeaking and squawking. They’re like aquatic hyenas.
(There is something seriously wrong with you.)
Again, I know. Moving on….
La Jolla Cove
Just a short ride up Interstate 5 you’ll find La Jolla Cove. Now, the main strip is quite tourist-laden, with shops and restaurants galore.
(Pussy Galore?)
Stop that. Don’t make me go all 007 on your arse. 
(*gigglesnort*)
ANYWHOOS… The park and beach area are divine. Crystal blue waters, white sands, and palm trees juxtaposed against a clear blue sky with only hints of a cloud here and there made for a serene afternoon. There is just nothing like the scent of sea air and the sound of the waves crashing at the shore to set a soul to ease. I took some great pictures, perhaps the best of which was accidental; just as I was about to snap a picture of the late afternoon sun reflecting off the rolling waters, with a hint of shoreline in the frame, a young woman wandered into my line of sight. 
At first I thought about waiting, but then decided to take the picture anyway. I’m glad I did. Her dark silhouette, framed by the setting sun, made for a surprisingly captivating, candid photo. Perhaps someday I’ll start a twitter campaign to learn of her identity, but for now she’ll just be the nameless girl in a random photo on a late afternoon in mid-November.
Of course, the best attraction was, without question, friends. I had the benefit of being able to see and spend time with some old friends and, by marriage, one new one in my friend’s husband. We ate; we drank, laughed, reminisced, and enjoyed each other’s company. I got to walk on an old railroad town’s wooden sidewalks, talk about the past and the future, and smile.
This, all of this, I did in four short days jam-packed with relaxation ad frivolity, and on a relatively tight budget. There’s a lot you can do in a short amount of time with little funds, including standing next to a giant statute of the kissing World War II sailor and nurse, and visiting the bar that proudly declares itself to be the filming location of the “sleazy bar scene” from Top Gun. And yes, Goose, she’s lost that loving feelin’.
(No she hasn’t, Mav.)
Yeah Goose, she’s lost it.
(Sh*t. I hate it when she does that.)
You lost… that lovin’ feelin’….
(Can we go back to the Disney earworms?)
Nope. We’re on a highway to the Danger Zone now. 
(Revvin’ up the engines… son of bitch. I have to go watch Top Gun now.)
Time to buzz the tower, good readers. Welcome to San Diego. 

© 2014 J.J. Goodman. All rights reserved. 


Comments