The Demon in the Dark

In darkness I stride
My sorrow takes flight
Seeking a source of light
 
When what to my fright
Should enter my sight
A demon with which I collide
 
What traveler are thee
It asks in my ear
Its whisper fills me with fear
 
It's been many a year
Since I've seen thee here
Why have you now come to me?
 
I'm lost, I reply
'Tis not you I seek
But strength for when I am weak
 
It lets out a shriek
Such a horrible freak
I must turn away my eye
 
How dare you come now
To enter my lair
This place of woe and despair
 
I bid you beware
I see everywhere
Your departure I'll not allow
 
And then I am strong
So I tell the strange beast
It's not on my flesh you'll feast
 
I will not be ceased
No not in the least
And I will continue along
 
Is that what you think?
It asked with a grin
I will show you your sin
 
Now come, let's begin
For I am your twin
And it's your blood I will drink
 
Stop now, hold fast
Say I to the troll
I'll not stay in this hole
 
There's hope in my soul
And o'er you I'll roll
Until this horror I'm past
 
It laughs with a smile
And says yes brave are you
Though passed here have only a few
 
'Tis lies that you spew
You shall not pass through
And with me you'll anguish a while
 
Steeled I become
I will not, I say
Now move yourself from my way
 
For 'tis on this day
I walk from this fray
You evil creature so dumb
 
Scared it does seem
At the sound of my word
Suddenly seeming absurd
 
Its power deferred
The scene suddenly blurred
My self I'll finally redeem
 
Go then, you fool
It says, you'll return
And with me your soul will burn
 
It's your evil I spurn
Say I, with a turn
As I depart from the ghoul
 
A return could be true
To the place in the dark
Such may be my life's arc
 
In contrast so stark
Though, my light it will spark
To illuminate my hope anew
 
So fleeing, I run
From that place so deep
The ogre ne'er my soul shall keep
 
No more tears shall I weep
And 'tis over the heap
I climb out into the sun.
 
 
 
© J.J. Goodman 2014. All rights reserved.