Simple Satisfactions


Ok, for those that know me personally, you know that Mondays and I have a love-hate relationship. And by that I mean Monday loves to occur once a week, every week, the day after Sunday, and I hate it. Getting up sucks, work sucks, inevitably some part of my lunch ends up on my shirt, someone somewhere kicked a puppy, and so on. Frankly, there generally isn't enough caffeine to spur me to action on a Monday morning.

(Does someone have a case of the Mondays?)

Grrrr. Two demerits, ok one demerit, for that remark. Two for being a smartass, but one gets taken back for quoting one of the best movies ever. Anyway, Mondays suck rocks. Always have, always will. So…

(So… what?)

So let's take a step back and try to think about some simple satisfactions in life. The little things. The small stuff.

(Aren't we not supposed to sweat the small stuff?)

I'm talking about different small stuff. I'm referring to the small stuff that happens randomly and makes you smile.

(Like heckling you?)

Yes. Wait, NO! I mean the little things that you don't expect and, when you witness them, you just can't help but smile.

(But heckling you does make me smile….)

I'm ignoring you. And just for that we're going to start with a Jeep-related item.

(Oh sweet bejeebus, here we go.)

Oh be quiet. Simple satisfaction number 1: The Wrangler Wave. Some of you know what this is, but for those that don't, the Wrangler Wave is an unwritten rule of camaraderie between Jeep Wrangler owners that dictates you wave at each other while passing another Wrangler on the road. There's a certain connection that only occurs with Wrangler drivers, driven by the mutual affinity for rugged freedom. It's just a nice gesture, and one that says "hey, you have an appreciation for the same thing I do, and that's cool." Yesterday was a nice day, so I dropped the top and went cruising. With rare exception, every Wrangler I passed reciprocated in kind with a wave. Here's to you, fellow Wranglers. [For those that don't wave – go trade in your Wrangler for a "not-a-Cherokee," you camaraderie-less twits.]

(OMG – enough with the Cherokee talk!)

Shall I discuss the new not-a-Renegade instead?

(*ahem* Carry on.)

That's what I thought. Simple Satisfaction number 2: Pet owners that go all out. My Jeeping took me to my happy place yesterday. As I'm walking along the water's edge, I notice an older couple walking towards me pushing a pretty intense looking stroller. I'd describe almost as a pack-n-play on wheels. As they got closer I noticed what was inside – an aged, Old English Sheepdog. I of course stopped and chatted with them – The dog was 10 years old and they had always taken him for walks along the water. He no longer had the strength in his hind legs to walk, so they bought the stroller to continue taking him for the walks he so enjoyed. That is just plain awesomesauce, right there. To encounter that kind of love and devotion, to a pet no less, is what life is all about. Kudos to you, stroller-dog-walkers. Kudos indeed.

Simple Satisfaction number 3: Seeing Sidney Crosby lose.

(Oh boy....)

I mean it. As his career has progressed I'd hoped that he would grow as a player, mature, and develop into a leader worthy of wearing the "C" on his sweater. Instead, he's only bolstered his reputation as a whiner and continues to show that he lacks the maturity necessary to captain a NHL team. The Penguins had the Rangers on the ropes… and have now lost two games in a row to lead to a decisive game 7. Why? Look no further than the leadership of Martin St. Louis – His mother passed away several days ago, suddenly and unexpectedly. After returning home briefly, he rejoined his team and goes out and scores the first goal of the game, on Mother's Day, en route to victory to assure the Rangers would play at least one more game. Crosby, take note. THAT is leadership, sport. It takes a lot more than a "C" on your sweater to lead.

(Dude, you find happiness in strange places.)

I know. And that's what makes it great. I don't need to hear a baby's laughter or win the lotto or anything else you'd typically expect to cause elation. I just need… stuff. Simple, random stuff. Like Top Secret showing on TV at 7:00 am on a Sunday morning. Or finding those last two thin mints on your freezer door behind the frozen peas that you bought out of a sense of obligation to have frozen vegetables in your freezer, though you never intend on eating them. I mean seriously, who eats frozen peas?

(I do….)

You would. Anyway, Yeah, it's Monday. And it's gonna suck because that's what Mondays do. Nevertheless, there's a lot of good out there. Just keep your eyes open. And if all else fails, YouTube is full of videos of guys getting whacked in the sack.

(*gigglesnort* That makes me laugh every time.)

This is what I'm saying.

 

© J.J. Goodman 2014. All rights reserved.