The Conversomniacs, Part Six.

I know it's been a while… So I am reposting Part Five here. Part Six follows…

_______________________________________

Part 5.

[Two weeks later]

Caitlin:            Hey.
Josh:                It's ALIIIIVE!!!!!
C:                    Shut up.
J:                      You had that coming.

*pause*

C:                    I know. I'm sorry.
J:                      I'm the guy. Aren't I the one who's supposed to disappear after, you know…
C:                    I said I'm sorry.
J:                      What's goin on with you, Cait?
C:                    Nothing.
J:                      Bullshit. I can tell you're lying even in text.

*pause*

C:                    I'm pregnant.

*pause*

J:                      oh.
C:                    BWAHAHAHAHAHA I'm kidding.
J:                      You're an asshole.
C:                    Takes one to know one.
J:                      Hey! I… ok ya got me on that one.
C:                    Look, I just haven't known what to say, you know?
J:                      No. I don't.
C:                    Josh…
J:                      Caitlin…
C:                    *sigh*
J:                      Don't give me the sigh. You started all this. "Would you date me" and all…
C:                    I know.
J:                      And you're regretting it now, aren't you?

*pause*

J:                      Never mind. That you didn't answer right away tells me everything.
C:                    What do you want me to say, Josh? That sleeping together was a mistake?
J:                      Was it???
C:                    Yes! Ok? It was a mistake. We shouldn't have crossed that line and I don't know how to deal with it now.
J:                      Wow.
J:                      I… wow.
C:                    Please don't….
J:                      Don't what Cait? Be upset? Be angry? You know how I feel about you!
C:                    I know…
J:                      And yet you slept with me anyway knowing you weren't really sure, didn't you??
C:                    Josh, I'm sorry. I am soooooo sorry…

*pause*

J:                      Fuck you.
C:                    Please don't be like this.
C:                    Josh?
C:                    Josh, please…

[Ignoring Caitlin]

J:                      Hey. You awake?
Amy:               YAWN – I am now…
J:                      Sorry.
A:                    No you're not. What's up?
J:                      Want some company?
A:                    Now?
J:                      Yeah.
A:                    Um, ok. Probably just gonna fall back asleep though.
J:                      That's cool with me.
A:                    Ok. Come on over.

*pause*

J:                      Ok.


**********************************************


Part 6.


[Six months later]

Josh:                Caitlin?

*pause*

Josh:                Cait?
Caitlin:            What?
J:                      Hey.
C:                    What do you want, Josh?
J:                      Just saying hey. Haven't heard from you in a while.
C:                    How's Amy?

*pause*

J:                      Go to hell.
C:                    What? You texted me. Just asking how things are going.
J:                      I take it you know, then?
C:                    It's a small town, Josh. When is she due?

*pause*

J:                      May 11
C:                    Wow. Just in time for Mother's Day.
J:                      You know what, Cait…
C:                    No, Josh, I don't. Why don't you tell me?
J:                      I LOVED you. You were all I wanted. Things got serious and you ran. What was I supposed to do?
C:                    I don't know but I'm pretty sure knocking up the next lay that came along wasn't the best idea.
J:                      Fuck you.
C:                    Again, you texted me.
J:                      Right. Bad idea.
C:                    What do you really want? Why contact me now?

*pause*          

J:                      I miss you.
C:                    Should have thought about that sooner.
J:                      Cait, please…
C:                    Please what? You're having a kid with someone else Josh! Please what???
J:                      I… I don't know.
C:                    Neither do I.
J:                      So, what now?
C:                    You go have a baby with Amy, and I move on with my life.
J:                      Can we at least be friends?

*pause*          

C:                    No.
J:                      Caitlin, come on…
J:                      Cait?
J:                      Cait? Please answer me.
J:                      Caitlin, please, please don't do this.

*pause*

[Caitlin cries and turns phone off.]
           

© J.J. Goodman 2014. All rights reserved.