Disney, and Desperation

What do you write when you should be writing one thing but you can't think of what to write for that thing so you write something for something else you're writing?
 
(Um… didn't sleep well last night, huh?)
 
Not really. So here's my conundrum: I should be writing. I have at least three manuscripts in varying states of completion, including Sabine, but I cannot find the energy or inspiration to work on them. I don't know why I've been so unable to focus. It's not like I'm not writing; to the contrary. I'm in the process of writing (what I think is) a pretty cool story.
 
(Well, keep working on that, and share with us!)
 
See that's the thing – I can't share it here.
 
(You're writing a dirty book again. Gotcha.)
 
What? No! Good grief. Get your mind out of the gutter.
 
(Oh, okay. Sorry. *wink wink*)  
 
I'm serious! I am not writing another dirty book. And the other one wasn't dirty. It was erotic. And thrilling.
 
(Can we read that?)
 
No.
 
(Dammit!)
 
Can I continue?  So this story I'm working on now is fun, adventurous, involves compelling new and familiar  old characters… but happens to take place in the same literary and cinematic universe as a very familiar franchise that happens to be in the news lately that rhymes with "Star Wars."
 
(I… okay, I see what you did there. You didn't really rhyme. You just said it.)
 
You're very astute. Yes, I'm writing a Star Wars story. The problems are plentiful – Now that the Empire, er, Disney has taken over the Star Wars franchise, it's far more difficult to write something independently within the SW universe. Previously there was an entire expanded universe rife with stories about old characters and new, and pretty much anyone could write anything. Now that the Mouse is in charge, well, the universe is locked down tighter than cell block AA23.
 
(Actually, that cell block wasn't locked down all that tightly. I mean, Han and Luke pretty much waltzed in there like bosses.)
 
True, but they also ended up going down the garbage chute.
 
(I… touché, pussycat.)
 
With Disney tightening its grip on the Star Wars universe, it's difficult to even get a foot in the proverbial door. I've scoured their websites and FAQ boards, and cannot even find contact information to reach out and throw my ideas out there. Granted, I could probably look a little harder, and make some phone calls until I get routed to the right people, but holy hell, Disney. You own one of the greatest franchises in history. People like me want to be a part of it. People like me are a part of it. A large part. Perhaps we're the largest part, if you stop and think about it. Disney, according to Forbes, at least I think it was Forbes…. Disney is projected to net in excess of nine billion dollars from The Force Awakens and its affiliated marketing, toys, video game, books, etc. As in Disney stands not only to break even on its investment in purchasing the franchise from Lucas, but will profit exponentially from the first movie alone. From where do you think all that profit materializes? Star Wars is nothing without its fans. Think about that for second.
 
(…whoa.)
 
Right? And there's another film coming out pretty much every single year for the next five years. Disney's profit off of Star Wars is going to be staggering. So you know what? Throw a struggling writer a bone, would ya? The pittance I'd make off of a stand-alone story that only features franchise heavy hitters in the most tangential sense is not going to impact Disney's bottom line in the slightest, minuscule bit.
 
(You seem really fired up about this.)
 
You know, I think I am. I'm going to try and make this happen. I am obviously biased, but frankly I don't find my substantive writing to be any less readable than other tomes that have dotten the proverbial Star Wars landscape over the years. And besides, even the highly paid Star Wars bigwigs, in the most recent film, named a character… are you ready? "Snap."
 
(Seriously??)
 
Seriously. The dude's name is Snap. For f*ck's sake.
 
(A five year old could come up with a better name for a goldfish.)
 
Exactly my point. So I'm just gonna throw this out there… If you have publishing connections and can get me in the Disney door, help a brother out. Of course, if you have publishing connections in general, I wouldn't mind hearing from you, either. And I ain't too proud to beg.
 
(Sweet darlin', please don't leave me gir… you sonofabitch.)
 
All too easy.
 
(Grrrr. Anyway, what about these other stories of which you speak?)
 
Oh they're there. And eventually I'll complete them. And then there's those I've already completed… Damn. I've written a lot of words, when I stop and think about it. Here's what I've got so far.
 
Published:
 
The Diligent: Conflict on the Deep Space Horizon (The Deep Space Chronicles, Book One)
Phaedrus: Turmoil on the Frontier (The Deep Space Chronicles, Book Two)
Ultionis: Assault on the Aurora (The Deep Space Chronicles, Book Three)
Forever Rain (a short story)
 
Soon-to-be-published:
 
Malum Luna: Clash on the Wasteland Fringe (The Deep Space Chronicles, Book Four)
 
Completed but not-yet-published manuscripts:
 
Bailey's Fortune
Confused Illusions
Lillian's Christmas
Redemption
 
And yes, Redemption is the dirt… *ahem* erotic thriller.
 
Unfinished Works:
 
Sabine
The Remarkable Tale of Jasper Jones and Dandelion Devine
Wren Winger and the Misfits
The Reunion
And several, other, as yet-unnamed stories, including a sequel to Bailey's Fortune.
 
(Wait, a sequel, to something –)
 
Yes, I have even started writing a sequel to a book I've not yet published. I'm a writer. We do stuff like that.
 
(Okay….)
 
Don't judge. You like me because I'm a writer. If I wasn't, I'd be far less interesting. And probably committed.
 
(No argument there….)
 
Look, I write because I love to write. Sometimes it's just that simple. But it is difficult, and disheartening on occassion, knowing that I've written so much and have only been able to get a fraction of it out there. One of the great joys of writing is being able to share what you've created. To that end, if any of the titles listed above peak your interest, feel free to contact me directly and I'd be happy to tell you more about them.
 
Sadly, I just don’t have the time, energy or capital to market like I should. To hire a professional editor. To write the hundreds of letters to publishing houses and literary agents in the hopes that one, just one, bites the bait I throw in the water. I joked earlier that I ain't too proud to beg – I'm really not. Sometimes you just gotta ask for help. So if you can… Please help. And know I'll appreciate it more than you know. I'll take whatever I can get.
 
Now, as for you, Disney… game on.
 
 
© 2016 J.J. Goodman. All rights reserved.

Comments