Caught in the Carnival

Caught in the carnival
A Dervish unable to whirl
Time driving to a standstill
 
The music is gone
Melody long since moved on
We've remained moments too long
 
Still I close my eyes
Shutting out all of the lies
As the world accepts what it decries
 
Yes we're all caught in the carnival
Just players we are
On a stage for others' delight
 
'twas once that I thought
Perhaps if I'd wish
I'd be able to run from this fright
 
Once more caught in the carnival
The mind's engine has stalled
Unable to topple the wall
 
The music we heard
Now barely whispers a word
'tis into the silence we're lured
 
With closed eyes I'm not blind
And with amazement I find
A peace in what's left behind
 
Yes we're all caught in the carnival
Or so I had thought
Perhaps it's not we who are here
 
But rather we've wandered
Leaving only behind
Shadows remaining so near
 
Again caught in the carnival
You've captured us all
Waiting for our night to fall
 
The music's returned
In our minds etched and burned
Like lovers we've all once spurned
 
Closed eyes open again
Light returns like a friend
Providing escape from the end
 
Yes we're all caught in the carnival
Though not as it seems
For we're always able to leave
 
Perhaps our release
Was ever at hand
Dependent on what we believe
 
 
© 2015 J.J. Goodman. All rights reserved.
 
 
 
 
 
 

Comments