If, but... If...

If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts, wouldn't it be a merry Christmas? ~ Don Meredith
 
(Ok… whatnow?)
 
Generally the phrase is taken to represent the notion that second guessing and making excuses are nothing more than an impediment to happiness. What a party we'd have if the "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts… although you really shouldn't eat too many nuts. While they are generally heart healthy, anything in excess can be problematic and if you don't hydrate enough while you're eating nuts you're going to have one helluva…
 
(*ahem*)
 
Right, sorry. I digress. It seems I've been doing a lot that lately. What-iffing, if you will. Sadly for some of us it's almost second nature to second guess. Sometimes you get to a point in your life where you just sit there and examine your life and say "what if I did this" or "what if I didn't do that" or "but, if I didn't do that…." Sometimes you may get lucky enough to find an answer or two. Sometimes you may very well not like the answer you get. Most of the time, though, speaking for myself, I imagine that, if I were a cartoon, I'd look a lot like a disgruntled Calvin, hands thrust in my pocket, with a thought balloon hovering over my head with a big ol' WTF??? in bold letters.
 
(Again: Ok… whatnow???)
 
What if. Those are very powerful words. Saying them isn't necessarily a bad thing, either. It's not as if an abundance of candy and nuts is a good thing. Thinking about your past actions, or inaction, helps one to shape future decisions and avoid past mistakes. Still, sometimes there are just those questions to which you'd really appreciate an answer. And I'm not saying this as if I'm looking for any kind of existential, life changing epiphany. I just, you know, wonder!
 
What if… in high school, instead of walking up and flirting with the doe-eyed blonde, I chose to chat with the wide-eyed brunette instead? Would I have met my "high school sweetheart?" Would we still be friends all these years later? IT's an interesting thought, for sure. I'll never know for sure where my life would have gone from there… and that's ok. Still, it's kind of fun to wonder.
 
What if… I pushed a little harder to play hockey/football/sport of choice? Would I have been a star? Would I have had a solid career as a second-line left winger in the NHL? Could I have been the Wes Welker of my time, a smallish, fast, sure-handed wide receiver? Perhaps. Perhaps not. I know it would have been fun to listen to Dan Dierdorf try and properly pronounce my name on Monday Night Football.
 
What if… I hadn't married who I'd married? What if I hadn't dated who I've dated? What if I decided that an awkward encounter was just that, nothing more than an isolated awkward encounter, and tried a little harder to woo that pretty girl I knew? Where would I be now? Married still? Rushing home to my children? Or perhaps divorced, exactly as I am, but with more heartache and pain? Who knows.
 
But… Would I still be me if any of these what-ifs ever came to pass? I've said it before but it bears repeating – I am the sum of the events of my life, good or bad, in total. Everything I've done, Everything that's happened, every smile, every tear, every scar, physical or emotional, has served to shape the man typing this post. What if something I'd what-iffed changed me such that I was what-iffing other what-ifs and buts?
 
(I… wait… What if, carry the but… Dammit stop that!)
 
Sorry. I know, though… it's confusing. Let's just leave it at this – Candy and nuts are great, but eventually they're bound to give you heartburn, or worse. Ifs and buts aren't necessarily bad, so long as you take them in stride and accept the fact that they are nothing more than curious speculation.
 
Unless…
 
(Oh boy. Here it comes.)
 
Unless there's a what if to which you could find an answer. It's possible. Not so much if you're what-iffing a past experience. No, I'm talking about the kind of what-if that could shape your future. What if I took a new job/wrote that book/asked that girl out/got that tattoo/picketed the Jeep dealer until they got rid of that abomination of a "Cherokee"/just took a day off to do nothing?
 
There's been a lot of challenges lately floating around the internets. This is my challenge: Pick three What-Ifs. Make them doable, make them reasonable, but make them challenging. Ask yourself "What if…." And then find out what happens if you follow through. What have you got to lose? Pride? If you're worried about hurting your pride, you've got too much of it anyway. Embarrassment builds character. Just decide. What if I…
 
(I…. hmm. This one is really interesting. I think I'll try it.)
 
Good. And good luck. You never know what can happen.
 
Now, what if I told you this was all a dream….
 
 
 
© 2014. J.J. Goodman. All rights reserved.
 
 

Comments