A Thinker, Cursed

There's a ringing in my ears
And a blinding in my eyes
A thousand angry voices
Filling up my head with lies

I try to run away
But every time I turn
There they are again
And my mind begins to burn

Until one day I find
There's power from within
Upon which I may draw
To wipe away my sin

The question that remains
Is one timeless and contrite
Not whether this is wrong
But rather if it's right

Reflection is distorted
As I look back on the past
And wonder if what's desired
Is enough to break the fast

Such is my eternal curse
This activity in my brain
I like to think a lesser man
Would go at once insane

Though perhaps insane I am
Already my mind lost
Frozen long ago
By confusion's frost

Though how frozen can it be
Such a silly notion
Perhaps it never stops
Thoughts in constant motion

Yes, that's more the case
This never-ending thought
All attempts at rest
Are futile and for naught

A curse so everlasting
One would think I'd turn to drink
Over this inability
To cease the urge to think

Still a mind always revolving
Is preferable at best
To one that never tries at all
And simply lays in rest

Nay I'll accept this lot in life
And not grow weary on this date
For worse is the alternative
To my ever present fate

© J.J. Goodman 2104. All rights reserved.