The Conversomniacs, Part 4.

Josh:                Cait?

*pause*

J:                    Cait? Hello???
Caitlin:            WHAT?
J:                    Why r u yelling at me???
C:                   Are you eff'n serious??? Really???
J:                    Caitlin, look, I'm sorry.
C:                   You stood me up, Josh! I sat at Jay's alone at 3 in the morning waiting for you.
J:                    I know. I'm really sorry.
C:                   No you're not.
J:                    YES I AM. I wanted to go…
C:                   But…

*pause*

J:                    But I couldn't.
C:                   Who was it this time? Ashley? Christine?

*pause*

C:                   Yeah, that's what I thought.
J:                    Fuck you!
C:                   Tell me I'm wrong.
J:                    You're wrong.
C:                   And you're lying.
J:                    What do you want me to say, Cait??
C:                   OMG you are such a GUY.
J:                    What is that supposed to mean???
C:                   It means you're an idiot. You told me you LOVED ME, moron.
C:                   I want to know if you meant it.

*pause*

J:                    Oh.
C:                   Oh? That's all you have to say? Oh?
J:                    You're the one who started this with your if we weren't such good friends crap.
C:                   Yeah kinda regretting that now.
J:                    Go to hell.
C:                   I'm already friends with you, aren’t I?

*one hour pause, 2:17 am*

J:                    Fine Cait. I love you. Always have. And I've watched you date douchebag after douchebag and just wanted to be the one, you know? I can make you laugh, be there, but  anytime I tried you pushed away. And now you want to give me crap for sleeping with someone else? I practically threw myself at you and I'm the asshole? I sold my most valuable comic book to buy your birthday present for cripes sake!! I'm done with this.

*pause*

C:                  You sold your Punisher #1?

*pause*          

J:                   Yes.
C:                  Wow.
J:                   Yeah.
C:                  Are you alone?
J:                   Yes, why?
C:                  Stay that way.
J:                   You're insane, you know that?
C:                  More than you know.

*thirty-two minute pause, 2:54 am*

[knock knock knock]

*pause*

[knock knock knock knock knock]

[Josh opens door.]

C:                  Hi.

*pause*

J:                   Hey.


© J.J. Goodman 2013. All rights reserved.