Formula One and the Ugly American... Or Lack Thereof

Today's lesson is entitled "Formula One: How Not to be an Ugly American."
 
(Hey! I thought you said you weren't going to make any more political posts!)
 
This isn't about politics, but I find it telling that you immediately associated "Ugly American" with politics.
 
(Well, dammit.)
 
I know, I do it too. But no, this has nothing to do with politics. This has to do with stereotyping. As in how, shamefully, many abroad view Americans as loud, obnoxious, overweight, self-centered, gun-toting morons, and how, by and large so many Americans live up to that stereotype. This is a lesson in how to not do that. This is a lesson learned from the good city of Austin, Texas, its people, and its visitors. This is a lesson learned from Formula One motorsport.
 
(I… what???)
 
This past weekend I attended the United States Formula One Grand Prix in Austin, Texas. For those that don't know, and I'm venturing a guess that you do not, Formula One is the most popular motorsport in the world, and generates more revenue dollars per event than any other sport. [Source: formulamoney.com] And yes, I said any sport. More revenue per event than football, baseball, basketball, hockey, jai alai…
 
(Do they still play jai alai?)
 
I'm not sure, but if they did, F1 would blow it out of the water. My point being, F1 is immensely popular across the globe, and that popularity was on spectacular display in Austin this past weekend. Nearly 270,000 people attended the three-day racing event, with over 150,000 attending the Grand Prix race on Sunday alone. I am so happy to report that in and among those 270,000 people I saw only two, count 'em two instances of Ugly Stupid Americans, "USA" for short.
 
(I see what you did there.)
 
I hate being lumped into stereotypes, and it truly did fill me with pride to know that I was part of an event through which people of our country acted with dignity and respect, and thousands of people from nations all across the globe came together peacefully for a major sporting event. I wish the rest of the world would notice, and follow that example.
 
The current crop of Formula One drivers hail from multiple countries and continents, and have followers literally everywhere. Those fans all converged on Austin to witness their favorite drivers compete in the world's greatest racing sport, and there was no disappointment; not in the race itself, nor in the level of courtesy and respect amongst those in the crowd. Whether they rooted for Mercedes AMG Petronas, Red Bull Racing, Ferrari, McLaren Honda, Haas, which was the American Formula one team making its home-soil debut, or any of the other teams, fans treated each other with respect. We talked in the grandstands about our favorite drivers, teams, races, and events without argument or discord. We joked and cajoled, shared and lamented, and enjoyed an event that brought hundreds of thousands of people from dozens of nations together for a sunny afternoon in Texas. Peacefully.
 
There was no politics, national or international.
 
There was no discrimination – All races, colors, and creeds were represented.
 
There was no hatred.
 
There was no ignorance.
 
There was only fun.
 
I can't even imagine the millions of dollars in revenue generated by the event, as I myself contributed to the haul with the purchase of a $50 baseball hat.
 
($50 for a baseball hat???)
 
I know, but you know what? It was my race souvenir. It's something to help me remember a fantastic experience, and it was worth it. It helps me remember sitting in the stands near another Mercedes fan from India as we talked about the two racers for the team, each of us rooting for one driver over the other, but having a reasoned discussion in doing so. It helps me remember the thousands of other fans wearing Mercedes gear and knowing that I shared that fandom in common with others from all over the world. It helps me to know that even the simple things, like fast cars, can bring people together peacefully even if for a couple of days.
 
(So, what happened with the USAs?)
 
There were two that I saw: One obnoxiously crass women wandering about the grandstand, loudly complaining that she couldn't find her friends, climbing over people, falling down, and spilling my $8 Heineken; and another clearly inebriated man loudly and obnoxiously taunting the crowds after the race.
 
(That's it?)
 
There may have been more, but if they were there, they were of such a small percentage of the crowd as to be barely noticeable.
 
(Wow.)
 
Right? So here's the thing: Don't be those two people. Don't be the stereotype. Learn from over a quarter of a billion people a lesson in how to be:
 
1.         Treat others with respect. That "do unto others" stuff? Yeah, when you actually do unto others, they treat you respectfully in-kind. Crazy, right?
 
2.         Respect yourself. Think about how you act. How would you react if you saw someone acting as you do? Would be offended, disgusted, ashamed? Then don't act that way. Conduct yourself in a manner that would make you proud of someone else for acting in the same manner. Don't be "that guy."
 
3.         Ignore your differences. Why should you care if the person next to you is from another country, of a different religion, or skin color? Remember why you're there; to have fun. You're all there for the same purpose. It's amazing how well folks get along when you focus on a common goal, even if in the context of motorsport you may be rooting for a different result.
 
4.         Remember that it's not our borders, or political affiliations, or skin color, or belief that defines us; it's our action. Being American doesn't define me. Being a man, of Italian heritage, Catholic or having brown eyes doesn't define me. I like to think that how I treat others defines me. Like the old adage says, how a man treats another from whom he wants or needs nothing says a lot about that person's character. Define yourself by how you act, not by from where your grandparents were born or what church you attend.
 
5.         Forget what doesn't matter. Seriously. Does it matter that the person sitting next to you in the stands is from Mexico? Nope. Does it matter that the person in front of you can't speak English? Not one bit. Does it matter that they might think Keanu Reeves is a good actor? Okay, that one's a bit of a grey area.
 
(It's been a while since you've brought that up….)
 
I know. And I jest. But you get the idea. If so many racing fans can all come together without incident, why can't the rest of us? Why can't we welcome those different from us like Austin did? Why can't we control ourselves, conduct ourselves with dignity and respect, such that others will do the same? 270,000 people were able to do so. Pretty easily, I might add.
 
So I leave you with this: Give Formula One a try. Watch the races. There's a level of excitement, and danger, there, that I think most people would find enticing. But as you watch, look closer. Look at the fans. Hundreds, thousands, millions of them world-wide, coming together for these events, peacefully.
 
Sure, I like to watch some of the fastest cars in the world. I love the twist, turns, overtaking and drama. But I also appreciate that fact that I can share those loves and experiences with others from anywhere and everywhere, without malice. And that's something special.
 
Formula One; bringing the world together in unity and respect. Go figure.
 
Oh, and… go Nico Rosberg.
 
(*sigh* Had to slip that in there, didn't you?)
 
Yup. We can't agree on everything now, can we?
 
(I can respect that.)
 
I thought you might.
 
 
 
© 2106 J.J. Goodman. All rights reserved.

Comments