Fictional Life Lessons

A little reflection on a Thursday… Harrison Ford is my favorite actor. That should come as no surprise as he portrayed two of the most iconic film heroes of my childhood. I've lost count of how many times I've watched the Star Wars and Indiana Jones films, but I've found in my repetitious revelry in doing so a great many lessons applicable to my life. It's funny how fiction has a way of permeating reality sometimes. So… Who's you favorite character, and what have you learned from their example? For me….
 
Things I learned from Indiana Jones…
 
1.     It's not the years, it's the mileage.
 
2.     Don't break the seal if you don't have to.
 
3.     It's always good to have short friends.
 
4.     When in doubt, make it up as you go.

5.      Seeking idols will always get you into trouble.
6.      A good smirk goes a long way.
7.      Know your history.
8.      Be able to work dirty but clean up nicely.
9.      Be careful with whom you trust.
10.  If the path looks easy, it usually isn't.
… and Han Solo:
1.      Even a scoundrel can find his princess.
2.      Loyalty is everything.
3.      Never trust the odds.
4.      Don't let others make fun of your ride. It may not be pretty, but it's got it where it counts.
5.      Gambling is usually a bad idea.
6.      Being resourceful is good, but a little luck never hurt, either.
7.      You elders may seem crazy, but there's often a lot of truth in their words.
8.      If you need help, take it where you can get it.
9.      Smile in the face of adversity.
10.  Sarcasm just may very well be the key to longevity.
 
© 2016 J.J. Goodman.  All rights reserved.
 
 
 
 
 

Comments